[Mailman-Users] How to get the sender id when the list is set to annoymous mode

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Feb 15 12:19:21 CET 2005

At 3:06 AM -0800 2005-02-15, vijayan p wrote:

>  I would like to know if as a administrator, is there a
>  way i can get the senders email id for the messages
>  posted.

	If you have access to the server logs, you can track them by
message-id.  Take the message-id of the message you want to find, and
look that up in the logs of your MTA (e.g., sendmail, postfix, exim,
etc...).

	The earliest message that shows up in the logs with that
message-id should be the original submission of the message to the
server (before it was passed on to Mailman), and it should have
details such as the sender address.

	If you don't have access to the server logs, or the server is not
configured to log this information, then you will not be able to
track down this kind of detail.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755