[Mailman-Users] Moderated approval via email

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 10 01:58:46 CET 2005

Pantejo, Barbara                FTL wrote:

>As the list admin/moderator, I received an email to approve a posting to a
>particular mailing list, but the instructions on approving via a reply email
>is confusing:
>
>"If you reply to this message and include an Approved: header with the list
>password in it, the message will be approved for posting to the list.  The
>reply."
>
>What does "header" mean and where on a reply email does it exist? Does
>"header" mean the Subject line?
>
>Does this mean one of the following?:
>1) Clear out the Subject line of the email and place "Approved:{list
>password}"

No.

>2) Reply with the Subject line intact and place "Approved:{list password}"
>as the first line of the reply message.

Yes

>3) Something else...

If your MUA allows it, you can actually add the Approved: <password>
line in the headers of the reply as a separate header, not in the
Subject:.

>I tried option 1 and 2 and it did not work. Should there be a space between
>the colon and {list password}?

2) should work. A space is conventional, but not required. The password
must be the list admin password or the list moderator password. The
site password is explicitly not accepted to discourage sending it in
plain text e-mail.

Note also, that this moderation message is a multipart/mixed message
and the part that says "If you reply to this message, keeping the
Subject: header intact ..." is it's own message/rfc822 part and it's
that message part you must reply to with the Approved: <password>
line, not the "outer" message.

I.e. the reply must be to the <listname>-request address, not the
<listname>-owner address, and the subject must be the "confirm
long-string-of-hex-digits" subject, not the "<listname> post from
<poster> requires approval" subject.