[Mailman-Users] Mailman + giant lists + the infinite weight of the cosmos

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Feb 8 20:52:18 CET 2005

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Cabel Sasser wrote:

Which version of python are you running? 2.3 includes a new db package
for the pickles.

> My problem is not with the mailing, but seemingly rather with the user
> management. Adding and removing members can take up to 60 seconds to
> complete -- many people bail before it's done. The web based management
> interface is also very, very slow as well. And, the last time I tried
> to send an e-mail to the list, I'm not even sure it made it through all

> 	1. Should I split the list into a series of smaller lists? What's the
> best way to do that easily?

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

> 	2. Is there any way to "optimize" this database, other than throwing
> more memory at the machine, etc.?

More memory seldom hurts :-);

> 	3. Any general advice for handling ridiculously large lists?

You might want to look at http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library.html#id35,
otherwise, I think you're hacking MM to default to the marshal method. The
code is there, but as the backup method. (Or really hacking it to use mysql...)

z!