[Mailman-Users] Large mailing lists

Ross Vandegrift ross at lug.udel.edu
Thu Dec 22 16:01:13 CET 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:23:12AM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:46 PM -0500 2005-12-21, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > One propety of these lists is that there is a high incidence of bad
> > addresses - the developer of the web front end refuses to do any kind
> > of validation before they are added to the mailman backend.
>
> 	You might want to see if you can get that process improved.  If I
> didn't know better, it would sound to me like you might be running a
> spam house, and I would take a very dim view of that.

I knew things were going to sound like this when I came to the list,
and I do apologize.  I agree 100%.  The issue here is that the server
houses lists for a fairly high-profile television celebrity.  You might
be suprised at the amount of garbage this attracts.  I certainly was.
Especially when the developers get notes from the celebrity about how
the website should work.

I'm working on the web developer to implement some better checks.  It'd
be awesome if when we got a subscription request from a client, some code
made sure they didn't type zop2 at zxcq.qwtz.com.  I'm somewhat hopeful of
Mark's idea to disable notifications as well, but I don't know how
this will fly with the client.

Unfortunately, I just work for the hosting company and don't really
have a lot of pull with celebrity TV personalities or their web
programmers...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu