[Mailman-Users] Large mailing lists

Ross Vandegrift ross at lug.udel.edu
Thu Dec 22 15:28:18 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:26:50PM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:40 PM -0500 2005-12-21, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>
> > I've got some questions on a mailman server that's currently
> > performing non-optimally.
>
> 	If you've got a large list, the first thing you need to do is to
> search the FAQ and the archives for the words "performance" and
> "large".

Yea, I've implemented most of the changes for Mailman and MTA tuning
that I came across.  Kept outgoing SMTP in small chunks, increased the
qrunner lifetimes, and tuned up postfix (which was most of the way
there).

I've also implemented some other postfix configuration to keep queues
from backing up.  As I discovered yesterday, there is an issue with
the server being underpowered, but I'll need to discuss that with our
client.

> 	One thing you could do is break the list up into multiple
> sub-lists, and then set up larger umbrella lists (whose only
> "subscribers" are the sub-lists).

I suspected this might be case.  I'm hoping to have this change
implemented later today

> Trying to shoe-horn everything into a
> postfix problem is not going to solve your fundamental Mailman
> problems.

Point definitely taken!

> In your case, I would encourage you to look at the new 2.1.7-beta

Sounds very promising.  Thanks for the tip!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."