[Mailman-Users] Mailman under Cygwin - won't add list

Ben ben at ahualoa.net
Wed Dec 21 07:26:21 CET 2005

Hi folks,

Aside from the Apache problem, I can't seem to get Mailman to create a
list.  This is on Cygwin.

I give the command:

 $ newlist friends
 Enter the email of the person running the list: ben at ahualoa.net
 Initial friends password:
 Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.
 Usage: /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist [options] [listname
[listadmin-addr [admin- password]]]
 Illegal list name: friends at LittleGuy

Now, "LittleGuy" is just the name of my local host; it's not the
fully-qualified domain.  I don't know why Mailman is trying to use it,
but I figured that I could force it otherwise:

 $ newlist --urlhost=ahualoa.net --emailhost=ahualoa.net
friends at ahualoa.net
 Enter the email of the person running the list: ben at ahualoa.net
 Initial friends password:
 (....)
 Illegal list name: friends at LittleGuy

This doesn't make any sense at all.  I'm telling Mailman very explicitly
which domain to create the list on.  Why is Mailman still trying to use
my local hostname?

Thanks,
Ben