[Mailman-Users] Unable to create new mail list from browser.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 10 05:15:19 CET 2005

Elvis Fernandes wrote:

>I changed the site passwd using bin/mmsitepass.
>And now when I try creating a new mail list thru the browser, it comes back
>with:
>Error: Illegal list name.
>
>Are these problems/errors documented somewhere?
>Is there something that I am missing?

The error messages aren't documented in detail anywhere. They are
*supposed* to be self explanitory. The only way to get more
information is to look at the scripts themselves.

In this case, the message is supposed to be

Error: Illegal list name: list_posting_address

Where list_posting_address is listname at emailhost, and the error is
issued because this is not a valid email address according to
Utils.ValidateEmail which means either it contained one or more spaces
or the emailhost part did not contain at least two dot-separated
pieces, i.e., list at example.com is OK, list at example is not.

emailhost depends on the setting of VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW and is
either DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST or the email host corresponding to the url
host of the create page fron the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary.