[Mailman-Users] list privacy filter question

Fernando Sabio hey_you at earthling.net
Wed Dec 7 05:15:50 CET 2005

Hi there,

searched "list to list", etc and found no hits - sorry if this has been
asked and answered before...

I work at a school and we're implementing the Mailman MLManager.

This is a "staff to parent" tool, so I think I've effectively limited the
ability of end users (parents) to post (I default 'all new users' to
moderated, and user posts are set to reject with a polite note reminding
them of the arrangement)  I then use a white-list of  "non-members" (school
staff) so they're the only folks who can post- plus i add one other 'special
account' - the latter entry   is the issue.

We have a list like this for each grade, and we also created one master list
known as "all_parents@<domain>" - the addressees in this list are the other
"to" addresses for the other six grade-specific lists.  (so,  class lists
have  ~ 80 emails of parents, the 'all_parents' list only has 6 members
"classof09-list, classof10-list" etc. )

I've used the name of the parent/master list as an approved sender on the
white-lists for the 6 sub-lists, but the list to list posts get
rejected/discarded -  so, how do i find out what value to add in the 'sub
lists' allow/white-list field so that this 'master' list can relay mail
to/through them?  Is it a variant of my hostname+domain-name,
mailman+domain-name, etc?

Thanks,

Fernando