[Mailman-Users] Mailman install problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 6 04:11:51 CET 2005

Elvis Fernandes wrote:

>I tried the following:
>
>isd80{mailman}2:
>isd80{mailman}2: /opt/local/bin/python
>Python 2.2.2 (#1, Jun  5 2003, 12:34:45)
>[GCC 3.2.1] on sunos5
>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

>isd80{mailman}3:
>isd80{mailman}3:
>

>The python complier did not report any errors.

OK. That's good.

>On 12/5/05, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>>
>> Elvis Fernandes wrote:
>> >/opt/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *;
>> >compile_dir("/mailman/mailman/Mailman")'
>> >  File "<string>", line 1
>> >    from
>> >       ^
>> >SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It is acting as if there is white space between the "'" and "from". The
line in Makefile is

	$(PYTHON) -c 'from compileall import *;
compile_dir("$(DESTDIR)$(prefix)/Mailman")'

(above is folded, but it's all one line in Makefile) which becomes in
your case

/opt/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *;
compile_dir("/mailman/mailman/Mailman")'

(again folded). You could try just giving that command manually. I'm at
a loss to understand why it isn't working.

If the command above works manually, then 'make update' will finish the
job since that's all that's left from 'make install' after the above.