[Mailman-Users] Embedding variables in emails sent to Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Dec 5 17:55:56 CET 2005

Ross wrote:

>I am setting up Mailman version 2.1.5p1
>I have noticed in this new version there is a place for a Member name along
>with the email address.
>
>Is there a variable I can use in my email I post to the list to make use of
>this member name ?
>
>example.
>
>Hi (Member Name)
>
>and have Mailman insert their name for me.

No, Mailman won't do exactly that.

There are a couple of things you can do. They all require

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py. Once this is set, the Non-digest options page will have
personalize settings for the list.

Full personalization will cause each user's message to be sent
To: Real Name <email at example.com>

Both 'yes' and 'full' personalization will allow use of %(user_name)s
in msg_header and msg_footer, but this has problems for inserting
something like 'Hi (Member Name)' at the start of the message body
because under some circumstances, msg_header can be a separate MIME
part. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>.