[Mailman-Users] mailman-bounces error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Dec 4 18:14:34 CET 2005

Andy Gao wrote in the OP:

>Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
>Arrival-Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 05:00:04 -0500
>
>Final-Recipient: RFC822; nui at abc.org <nuin at genedrift.org>
>Action: failed
>Remote-MTA: DNS; abc.org
>Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550-Verification failed for
><mailman-bounces at localhost.localdomain>
><mailman-bounces at localhost.localdomain>
>Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 05:01:25 -0500

>I guess that is something wrong with my MTA configuration.

I don't think so, unless you really don't want it to verify sender
domains.

The date and time from the above messages indicate they refer to a
password reminders.

If VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW is on, password reminders are collected for
all users and lists and sent once for each user in lists in each
virtual domain, and they are sent from the site list bounce address
(mailman-bounces) @ the domain they come from. Otherwise, they are
sent from the site list bounces address @DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.

So in your case, either VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW is off and
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is localhost.localdomain in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py
or VIRTUAL_HOSTS_OVERVIEW is on and you have at least one list with
members and with host_name = 'localhost.localdomain'.