[Mailman-Users] Problem installing on Solaris 8

Young, Darren Darren.Young at ChicagoGSB.edu
Fri Dec 2 20:12:10 CET 2005

> I'm trying to install Mailman 2.1.6 on a Solaris 8 machine.
> There seems to be a rather strange error and I'm not sure if
> it's a misconfiguration of my machine or a problem with Mailman.
>
> I had no problem with 'configure' or with 'make'.  I *did*
> use gcc -- there is a "cc" binary on the system, but the Sun
> compiler is *not* present, and this was no problem during the
> compile phase.
>
> However, when I got to 'make install' it seems there is a
> problem.  The install process seems to want to call "cc",
> even though it was not specified or used in either
> 'configure' or 'make'.
>
> Here is the error I get:
>
> 8<---start------------------------------------------------------
>     (cd ./$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib
> /opt/csw/bin/python setup.py --quiet install --install-lib
> /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-purelib
> /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-data
> /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib); \ done
> /opt/csw/lib/python2.3/distutils/dist.py:213: UserWarning: 'licence'
> distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
>   warnings.warn(msg)
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-packages'
> Current working directory /export/home/users/steve/mailman-2.1.6/misc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'
> 8<----stop-----------------------------------------------
>
> The error message from "cc" is the message that you get
> because the Sun compiler is not installed.  But why is it
> being called?  I've tried taking /usr/ucb out of the path so
> that there is no "cc" binary available, but then I get the
> error that there is no "cc".
>
> OK, here's a workaround, but it's ugly.  I put a symlink
> pointing cc to gcc and then made sure /usr/ucb was not in the
> path.  I got some warnings:
>
> cc1: warning: "-Wno-deprecated" is valid for C++ but not C/ObjC
>
> but the install finished.  It really sounds like there is
> something in the Mailman install procedure that has "cc" hard coded.

Try export CC='gcc' or CC='/path/to/gcc' then clean and re-run configure

Or clean and run configure CC='/path/to/gcc'

Or even both.

Watch out for ar as well, I've had that do the same thing on Solaris 8.

I usually add CC='/opt/sfw/bin/gcc' and AR='/opt/sfw/bin/gcc' to all my
configure's and make's