[Mailman-Users] All members treated as nonmembers redux

David Josephson dlj04 at josephson.com
Tue Aug 30 02:25:14 CEST 2005

We had a list (MM 2.1.5 under sendmail) suddenly stop working, with logs
showing that all incoming messages (from members and nonmembers alike)
were being discarded. Configs had been set to discard without copying to
the list admin, and it is a relatively low volume list, so it wasn't
noticed for a while. During troubleshooting we re-enabled
forward_auto_discards and the moderator approval page for each incoming
post showed "post by nonmember to members-only list" *and* "poster is a
member of ... list."  Following up on an earlier answer to this sort of
problem, we commented out the SENDER_HEADERS = ('from') line in
mm_cfg.py and this fixed the problem. Question is, how did this break in
the first place? And why did it apply to only one list? Other lists, and
new lists created since then, work fine. There is mention of being able
to modify member checking on a per-list basis but I was not able to find
where to do this.

There was a server reboot (for other reasons) at about the same time
this problem appeared.

During this debugging process we also upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6,
could this have been a default of the 2.1.6 install, and the real
problem was something else?

Thanks ...

David Josephson