[Mailman-Users] Messages are lost...I have followed FAQs 3.14

Mike Avery mavery at mail.otherwhen.com
Mon Aug 29 22:21:27 CEST 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>It looks like msg_footer (on the list's Non-digest options page), and
>possibly also digest_footer (on the list's Digest options page), has a
>non-ascii character in it.

Ahhh... yeah.  The question is, what next?  I run into this fairly often
(a few times a month) when trying to delete spam that's awaiting my
approval.

Looking at the archives to the mailing list, I've seen that different
people have had this problem since 2003 in one form or another.

I've discovered if I clean out any list's list of pending mail, I can
copy the appropriate files to the other lists and delete the offending
pending files.  However, this really isn't a good answer to the question.

Sure,  non-ascii characters aren't legal in email addresses, subject
lines, and so on.  However, the spammers don't seem to mind...
personally, I'd be just as happy of Mailman dropped those messages into
the bit bucket without even telling me about it, though that may not
really be a good answer.

Still, it seems Mailman should be able to handle the illegal data a bit
more elegantly.... what's the old system designer mantra, "Never test
for an error condition you don't know how to handle"?

Mike

--
...The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvaldis claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery  			mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
home baker			ICQ 16241692
networking guru			AIM mavery81230
wordsmith			Yahoo mavery81230