[Mailman-Users] Archive access permission problem - can you think of something beyond the obvious?

Jay Batson batsonjay at sipforum.org
Sat Aug 20 21:16:12 CEST 2005

Hi --

Our web/mail server (I think) got hacked recently.  (There were
various bits of stuff that broke.)

While list mail seems to (now) be running again (had to restart
qrunner), access to list archives is still busted.  Attempts to
access the archives via browser give the well-known "Forbidden - You
don't have permission to access /pipermail/discussion/ on this server."

I've done the following:
- run check_perms -f to make sure directory permissions are correct
- Made sure the following was in my Apache httpd.conf file:

Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory "/var/mailman/archives/public/">
AllowOverride None
Options FollowSymLinks
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

  (I then restarted the web server -only; not the system as a whole)
(BTW -- I've tried with, and without double-quotes around the
directory spec.)

Yet I still have the permission problem.

Can anybody think of something else I'm not catching that would be
causing this?  Note that I'm running this on an Apache "virtualhost,"
so I made sure to put the Directory directive in the virtualhost
section.

Sorry to be asking such a well-worn question again.  But I've done
what I thought needed to be done, and am still stuck.

Help,and RSVP
-jb

Jay Batson
Acting Managing Director, Chairman