[Mailman-Users] how to avoid mailmanSite list creation

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 18:37:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 11:46 +0300, lkolchin at univ.haifa.ac.il wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> 1) I'm implementing web-cyradm installation together with mailman-2.1.4-83.13 on SLES 9.

Try to upgrade to mailman 2.1.6 for security reasons.

> As I understood from the documentation, there must be "mailman" list for mailman to work properly.
>
> Web-cyradm implementing virtual domains with the use of MySQL tables, so my "mailman" list will look something like  "haifa.ac.il-mailman" where haifa.ac.il is one of the domains I have.
>
> After creating this list, I restart mailman and get "Starting mailmanSite list is missing: mailman" error.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this limitation?

You need a site list, this does not have to be created via your
Web-cyradm tool set, it can be done at the time of mailman installation.

> I got this message:
>
> "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.4
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what happened. Thanks!
> Traceback:
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> Mailman experienced a very low level failure and could not even generate a
> useful traceback for you.  Please report this to the Mailman administrator at
> this site."

This is typically a result of python syntax errors introduced by editing
mm_cfg.py which is python code that gets executed. A typical reason is
not quoting strings. If you can't find the syntax error try running one
of the command line scripts in mailman/bin, the python interpreter will
probably print the offending file and line number, this is hidden when
using the web interface.

> In my /etc/apache2/default-server.conf I configured it like this:
> ##################
> ##
> ## mailman
> ##
> ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/"
> <Directory "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/">
>         AllowOverride None
>         Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> </Directory>
> ##
> ## end mailman
> ##
>
> Are these config lines sufficient or my bug is from 1) question?

Looks fine to me provided your path is correct. See above, you need the
site list, you probably have a syntax error in mm_cfg.py.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>