[Mailman-Users] Virtual domains

Hans-Juergen Beie hjb at pollux.franken.de
Thu Aug 18 00:19:16 CEST 2005

Forrest Aldrich wrote on 17.08.2005 20:45 Uhr:
> Let me clarify my setup.
>
> Our list server is at http://www.ourdomain.com/lists.   The default
> domain we want added to new lists is "ourdomain.com".   However, we have
> another domain that we want to use for a special list that we need to
> add to this mix.   In such a way that the domain name is preserved in
> the headers.
>
> So we MX that newdomain.com to our inbound MX hosts, and forward (via
> standard mailman aliases) to the MTA instance on the lists machine,
> which is in the ourdomain.com domain.
>
> So I want to have:
>
> users-discuss at newdomain.com

Then use add_virtualhost(URL_HOST, 'newdomain.com')

> on our Mailman instance that otherwise would have:
>
> another-list at ourdomain.com
> this-list at ourdomain.com
>
> Is that more clear?

Yes and no. What about the URL_HOST?
Should your list server present this list as
http://www.ourdomain.com/lists/user-discuss or like
http://www.newdomain.com/lists/user-discuss?

In the first case use
   add_virtualhost('www.ourdomain.com', 'newdomain.com')
otherwise use
   add_virtualhost('www.newdomain.com', 'newdomain.com')
and setup a vhost for www.newdomain.com on the web server of your lists
host.

In both cases your MTA on the lists machine should treat newdomain.com
as virtual domain.

> Thanks.

hjb :-?