[Mailman-Users] Privacy and Headers

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Tue Aug 16 08:52:53 CEST 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 02:18, R J Ladyman wrote:

> The headers expose the sender address and domain (the message-ID
> does the
> latter, of course), which makes the 'hide sender...' option a bit
> confusing.

Your users could configure their MUAs not to put specific information
in their message IDs.  :-)

> Could you give me some pointers to the relevant Mailman files I
> would need to
> modify for the changes you suggested? Note that I'm not worried about
> preserving threading, or more correctly, the anonymisation requirement

You could modify Mailman/Headers/Cleanse.py to strip/modify the
Message-Id header.

I would worry about generating mail loops with badly designed auto
responders (especially if they don't preserve Mailman's 'been-there'
header).

(Note that the Scrubber stage of the message pipeline bases its hash
on the Message-Id, so it might be better to add a custom stage
earlier in the pipeline to remove the Message-Id and generate a new
one.)

--
Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/