[Mailman-Users] Search and import

Kai Hendry hendry at iki.fi
Thu Aug 11 02:46:40 CEST 2005

On 2005-08-10T11:29+0200 Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	You should search the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> before posting questions
> like this.

Somehow I missed this from http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

It should be made clearer.

> >  I have a bunch of emails from another system that I wish to import
> >to mailman.
> 	Not a problem.  The answer is in the FAQ.

Aha!
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.001.htp

I wonder how I convert my messages which are individual files to a mbox?
Just cat them?

> >  I don't think I have access to mailman directly as my hosting company
> >  set it up for me. So any tips of how I send these mails and maintain the
> >  date?
> 	That's a problem.  If you want to import archives from another
> list, you have to have command-line access.  In this case, you'd have
> to ask your hosting company to do it for you.

Oh no.

> 	The issue here is that Mailman was never designed to be abused in
> the way that hosting companies are now doing.  It was intended to be
> something that an organization sets up for itself, and where you've
> got complete control over everything yourself.  It was never intended
> to be used in a hosting environment.  People who abuse it in that way
> need to provide a lot of support to their hosting customers,
> otherwise you lose much of the functionality.

Please! I think it is a bit harsh to call it "abuse".

Ideally there should be a mail or Web interface for this feature.