[Mailman-Users] "Reply to all" with original destination and list destination

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Aug 10 16:07:01 CEST 2005

    Tiago> But, I would like only to use, by default in my mail
    Tiago> client: "reply to" -> reply to my list "reply to all" ->
    Tiago> reply to my list _and_ original destination

    Tiago> Its possible? I don't need control the "Reply-to" header...

No, it's not possible.  According to the standard for internet mail,
the Reply-To header contains the destination where you can reach the
_author_ of the post.  (If the author chooses to read replies on the
list, she may set Reply-To to the list.  In that case, the behavior
you describe is the behavior you want!)  If Reply-To is not set, then
the From address is used for replies.

Thus, if Reply-To is set, then the standard says that From should be
ignored; mail intended for the author should be directed to Reply-To.
If Reply-To is set to the list, then From is ignored for this reason.
If Reply-To is not set to the list, then neither "reply" nor "reply to
all" will reply only to the list.

As far as I know, all reasonable mail agents implement this behavior
(including Eudora and Outlook, which I normally wouldn't class as
"reasonable", but for this purpose I'll grant them an exception).

There simply is no solution to this problem as stated; there are too
many options to be handled with one header and two mail agent
commands.

There is, of course, a solution: change your mail agent.  What good
mail agents do is add a third command "reply to list" to direct
replies to the list if it was received via a list; if not, to the
author.  Now you have exactly the behavior you want.

So the best solution is to configure the list server to leave the
Reply-To header alone and you get a good mail agent.  If you're stuck
with a mail agent that has no "reply to list" command, then you're
also stuck with the inability to implement the options you prefer.