[Mailman-Users] Problem running sync_members under cpanel

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Aug 1 00:15:04 CEST 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 8:22 PM +0200 2005-07-31, Hilton wrote:
>
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in
>>  __write
>>     fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
>>
>>  IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>>  '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/locks/test_landrover.org.za.lock.s53.tm.
>>  crucialx.net.13496.0'
>>
>>  Any pointers please? As I said before, I don't have root access.
>
>	That's a file permissions problem.  You need to talk to your
>CPanel hosting provider.

To elaborate, the user under which the cron is running does not have
permission to create/write the lock file to lock the list. The cron
probably needs to run as root or as a user in the 'mailman' group
(usually 'mailman').

Also see
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp