[Mailman-Users] Installation problem: 500 internal server error

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Apr 29 10:59:33 CEST 2005

At 11:28 AM +0100 2005-04-28, RT wrote:

>  Problem 1: my 'ISP', for want of a better word, enables suEXEC on Apache,

	Ouch.

>  and I obviously can't change that (aside: doesn't everyone run
>  Apache/suEXEC?

	No.

>                 If not, why?

	In large part, because that's not what is shipped by default by
most vendors.

>                               And surely most mailman users are in the
>  same situation that I'm in - I don't have a real internet connection,
>  and I rely on someone else's virtual server, on which I don't get a
>  root password?)

	Actually, that's a pretty rare configuration, based on what I've
seen in the past.  Had it been more common, others would have run
into this problem before, the documentation would have been
corrected, and you would not have had these problems yourself.

>  But *none* of this is in the installation instructions, unless I've
>  missed something.

	Nope, it's not in the documentation.  Your problem with suEXEC is
only the second time I've ever heard this feature mentioned, and you
may be the first person I've heard of that has resolved the issues
and documented them to this degree.

>                     And, this isn't my day job, and I'm worried that
>  this isn't secure. Is it a good idea to run mailman's scripts with
>  Apache's permissions?

	Dunno.  Not sure that anyone else has ever tried to do this with Mailman.

>  How does everyone else manage to install this?

	With suEXEC in your kind of configuration?  I don't know that
anyone else has ever managed to do that.

>                                                  Would someone mind
>  updating INSTALL?

	If you can give us suitable instructions to include (preferably
as a patch to the INSTALL document), we should be able to get that
updated before 2.1.6-RELEASE is cut.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755