[Mailman-Users] Failing to send to a list - 553-mail rejected because your IP is in RBL.

Adam Cripps kabads at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:18:17 CEST 2005

I know this isn't strictly a mailman problem, but I'm seeking advice here.

We have a guy who mails to a one-to-many list every day with a news
update. His ISP is AOL (in the UK, fwiw). Today he has a problem
sending to his list with this error:

<our-daily-news at maillists.ourcompany.com>

... while talking to relay.company-isp.co.uk.:
>>> RCPT To:<our-daily-news at maillists.ourcompany.com>
<<< 553-mail rejected because your IP is in RBL. See
<<< 553 http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/
550 <our-daily-news at maillists.ourcompany.com>... User unknown

(I've blanked out domains for anonymity).

However, I've just sent out a mail successfully using a test list from
both a work email account and from my personal one (nothing to do with
work). Would I be right in thinking that this is specific to AOL? Is
this AOL being over-zealous with spam? I've looked up RBL and see that
it's to do with spam, and have concluded that an IP is banned.
However, this must be the sender's AOL IP, as we are sending fine this
end.

I'm tempted to post this news out myself today to see if it works from
my email system.

Any advice gratefully received.
Adam

--