[Mailman-Users] Help: mailman, permissions, IOError (OS X, 10.3.8)

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Tue Apr 26 06:57:24 CEST 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 04:57, Jason Miller wrote:
> Root does receive a stack of emails, however.  At least one every five
> minutes.  The text of the email looks like this:
>
> Subject: Cron <user at pyrite>
> /usr/bin/python -S /Applications/mailman/cron/gate_news
> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:30:01 -0500 (CDT)

Why are you running the cron jobs as 'user' instead of 'mailman'?  (Is
the 'user' user a member of the 'mailman' group?)

> I've modified Defaults.py so that all mentions of NNTP are commented
> out, but this approach is just guesswork on my part.

You should never modify Defaults.py, but rather make any customizations
you need in your mm_cfg.py.  (That allows your changes to persist
through Mailman updates.)

> even though I don't have a News<->Mailman gateway configured. In fact,
> I've tried to make sure that mailman understand I do not want such a
> gateway, but I guess I've not been successful.

You could edit your crontab (for the 'user' user in your case
apparently) and comment out the gatewaying task which runs every 5
minutes by default.

--
Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/