[Mailman-Users] aliases file in Mailman owner by root

Dave Pisarek shaggyshags at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:00:24 CEST 2005

On 4/22/05, Dan Phillips <dhphllps at memphis.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Dave Pisarek wrote:
> > RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
> > /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)
> >
> > When I check the aliases file it is owned by root in the group mailman,
> > -rw-rw----  1 root mailman 3523 Apr 22 07:15 aliases
> >

> The usual cause of this (it's in the FAQ, btw) is that aliases.db is
> not group writable, and check_perms doesn't catch it. Mine are:
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  19749 Oct 11  2004 aliases
> -rw-rw-r--  1 mailman  mailman  36864 Oct 11  2004 aliases.db
>
> I don't know about the changing owner issue, however. I would think it
> wouldn't matter as long as it's still group mailman.
>
> Dan
>

> ================================
> Dan Phillips
> Professor of Horn, University of Memphis
> webmaster: http://music.memphis.edu

Good call but did not help. After changing the perms on aliases.db to
664 it still did the same:

-rw-rw----   1 root    mailman  3523 Apr 22 07:53 aliases
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman mailman 49152 Apr 22 07:53 aliases.db

The list is created:
# CREATED: Fri Apr 22 07:53:43 2005
dave:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post dave"
dave-admin:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin dave"
dave-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces dave"
dave-confirm:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm dave"
dave-join:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join dave"
dave-leave:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave dave"
dave-owner:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner dave"
dave-request:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request dave"
dave-subscribe:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe dave"
dave-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe dave"

Just throw off the same error as before and did not send the list
created e-mail.

--
-- Dave