[Mailman-Users] OSX config.pck.last problem possible resolution

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Fri Apr 22 07:32:30 CEST 2005

>On 4/21/05 4:47 PM, Terry Allen at hmag at ozemail.com.au wrote:
>
>>  As some would know, there seems to be an issue with Mailman
>>  on OSX, where some systems will periodically see the cronjob sending
>>  an error out to root via email in relation to the file
>>  config.pck.last not being able to be re-written or whatever.
>>  I have had this twice now, both times a couple of days after
>>  a System Update has been applied. On both occasions, I have run
>>  check_perms & the errors have disappeared. My guess here is that the
>>  system update (the latest being 10.3.9) seems to have changed
>>  something critical to Mailman in terms of permissions.
>>  So, if anyone else is experiencing this problem, I would
>>  suggest trying to run check_perms & see if the problems disappear.
>
>Interesting. I updated to 10.3.9 last night and have had no problems.
>Checking in my mailman directory, I see config.pck and config.pck.last files
>that all have update times since the OS update.
>
>I have not run Mac OS X's "repair disk permissions" since the update. I know
>many people recommend doing so both before and after applying any OS update
>but I've found doing so actually causes me problems - it changes the
>permissions on /var/mail to something pine does not like.
>
>-- Larry Stone
>    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
>    http://www.stonejongleux.com/
Hi again,
	Yes, I agree. It doesn't happen straight away - I had 3 days
of runtime after the update before that problem showed up again. I
have no answer & it does not seem to happen on every OSX installation
either.
--

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400