[Mailman-Users] member_posting_only

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 20 10:54:32 CEST 2005

>>>>> "kalin" == kalin mintchev <kalin at el.net> writes:

    kalin> my point was/is that the 'members_posting_only' is supposed
    kalin> to be for members ONLY but it's not...

As I understand the word "post" it implies delivery to the list
members.  So this option is doing what it says: preventing non-members
from posting.  Your point seems to be that you think of the word
"post" as simply submitting mail to the list, and Mailman should do
what _you_ need it to do, which is discard the "illegal" messages that
it doesn't send to the list members.  That is an important goal of the
project: to make Mailman do what list owners want it to do.

So, whose opinion is more important?  Well, the _first_ thing that
mail software should do (by default) is _not lose mail_.  That's why
the default setting is to _hold_ mail, not discard it.  Mailman should
_never_ discard _any_ mail automatically until the list owner tells it
to do so, using a very explicit word like "discard" or "reject" or
"delete".  After all, you can throw away the unwanted posts later---
but if I got the opposite surprise I would have lost mail forever, I
can't get it back.

In the case of 2.0, that was an earlier version, the default setting
was the only setting.  This was found to be insufficient, and that's
why 2.1 has the new configuration options.