[Mailman-Users] lynx html -> text question...

Nathan Stazewski nstazew1 at swarthmore.edu
Tue Apr 19 16:50:13 CEST 2005

I posted previously about this, but was all of the sudden swamped with work
so I was not able to keep working on this problem.  Our mailman install
works fine until it's time to convert a text/html e-mail to plain text.  All
mailman produces with such e-mails is a blank body with the footer attached.
Mark Sapiro was very helpful in pointing me to the following line in either
Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py .

HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'

After looking in both those files, I noticed that Defaults.py had this line,
but mm_cfg.py did not.  I was about to add the line in the mm_cfg file, but
then I decided to check out the /usr/bin/ directory looking for lynx (I'm a
windows/dos user so I'm used to file extentions.so lynx is an executable,
correct?).  At this point I noticed that lynx is nowhere in that directory.
A search of the computer (Mac OS X) for anything with lynx in the name only
provided an AppleLynx.kext.  I'm guessing that the problem stems from the
fact that lynx isn't installed on this computer?  I checked my error logs
and noticed I have the following error.

Apr 18 13:27:38 2005 (399) HMTL->text/plain error: 32512

Every other place (on the mailman-users list) that I have seen the
"HTML->text/plain error" it was followed by 256 instead of the 32512 that I
am receiving.

If I do indeed need to install lynx on a Mac, I have a few questions.  I
searched on the net and it seems that lynx is some sort of a text-only web
browser.so is this what I am to install to get mailman to convert html to
text?  I found this site.

http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Networking/lynx/

Is this what I'll need?  If I install it, am I going to have to do anything
special to get mailman to now recognize it?  Thanks in advance for any help
with this.

Nate