[Mailman-Users] problem with mm.arch

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Mon Apr 18 00:57:55 CEST 2005

On 4/17/2005 11:57, "David Relson" <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> Using the date in the "From " line would have done what I want.  I'd be
> happy with an option to enable that behavior.  As that line is known as
> the "envelope", perhaps option "--envelope-date" or "--envelope" would
> be appropriate.

In my understanding of email, that's not the "envelope"...which is the SMTP
commands which "introduce" the messge.

The From line (no :, as you and Mark are both correctly saying) is an
artifact of the mbox storage format.  (The blank line preceding it and the
>From line form a message separator in mbox format.)

It's probably the best date available as long as Mailman stays with mbox,
given that users don't keep their clocks sensible, and most server operators
do.  That doesn't help with mailman lists run on machines whose operators
don't manage the clocks sensibly, but that's their problem.

  --John