[Mailman-Users] moving lists from one server to another

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 20:54:22 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 13:59 -0400, Dave Pisarek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to mailman and need to move around 200 lists from one server
> to another. I am looking for an easy way and fast way to do so. If
> someone could explain how or point me to good docs on how to do this I
> would greatly appreciate.

You left out some information that would help answer your question:

* Do you have shell access to both servers?

  If so you can copy the files in the mailman "var" directory.

* Will both servers be running the same basic version of mailman?
  E.g. 2.1 vs. 2.0? If you're upgrading versions at the same time you
  may need to run bin/update after the data files have been copied.

* Will the new server have a new domain? If so, and you have shell
  access then you'll also have have to run bin/fix_url to change the
  domain.

* You almost certainly have to check the values mm_cfg.py so they match
  the new server.

* If you don't have shell access then I think its going to be very
  difficult.

Don't forget to stop mailman from running before taking a snapshot of
the files to copy and give yourself time to test the new installation
before you turn your lists back on.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>