[Mailman-Users] UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 8 07:34:34 CEST 2005

Richard Pyne wrote:

>I'm seeing a problem where messages get in to mailman, and into
>the archives, but never get sent. When this happens I see this
>in the error log:

<snip>
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py", line
>95, in process
>    payload = header + frontsep + oldpayload + endsep + footer
>UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in
>position 291: ordinal not in range(128)

The list language is English (USA) ('en') which has character set
us-ascii and the posted message contains a non-us-ascii character (hex
92).

>Apr 07 22:14:32 2005 (2477) SHUNTING:
>1112933669.117754+96c37c2b0a5227c2d9e33ff582f5651df360473d

This error caused the message to be shunted (placed in the shunt
queue). You can run bin/unshunt to reprocess the message, but unless
you change the character set of the list language first, the error
will occur again and the message will be shunted again.

To change the character set to e.g. western european, you can put

add_language('en',    'English (USA)',       'iso-8859-1')

in mm_cfg.py and then do

bin/mailmanctl restart

followed by

bin/unshunt