[Mailman-Users] Question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Apr 3 20:21:13 CEST 2005

Jason wrote:

>Sometimes when I invite people rather then the return address being list-request it is list-bounces  so when they goto confirm there subscription it goes to the bouces account and nothing happens.
>
>Is there a way to fix this.   It doesn't happen all the time.

I don't think this is due to a difference in the invitations. Rather,
it is a difference in the user's MUA that is causing it to use the
Sender: rather than the From: address. There is more information on
this in the FAQ at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp

It is primarily Microsoft MUAs (Outlook in particular) that do this. It
has to do with Microsoft's Purported Responsible Address (PRA)
initiative that's part of Sender ID. See
http://spf.pobox.com./senderid.html and links therefrom for more
information.

There is a suggested hack in the FAQ article, but it could affect
bounce processing in some cases.