[Mailman-Users] suscribe policy

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 30 03:27:29 CEST 2004

Ian Eiloart wrote:

>--On Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:13 am +0200 Stefan Hofmeir
><Stefan1 at Hofmeir.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> how can I change the subscribe policy to no confirmation (no user
>> confirmation, no admin confirmation)?
>> I am using mailman 2.1.5.
>
>You can't. That would be a very bad thing, since it would allow me (for
>example) to subscribe you (for example) to mailing lists that you didn't
>want to belong to. Only the administrator of the mailing list should have
>that power.

I agree with Ian that it is a bad thing to do, but if after really
considering the drawbacks of allowing "spoofed" subscribes and dealing
with irate victims and having your lists blacklisted by AOL, Yahoo,
etc. when the victims click "this is spam" on your list e-mails, you
still want to do it, set

  ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

in mm_cfg.py and you will then have the option. Or in other words, the
gun will be loaded and you can then shoot yourself in the foot.