[Mailman-Users] error when running "arch"

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Wed Sep 29 19:25:37 CEST 2004

I got the following error when rebuilding archives for a
list (OpenBSD Mailman 2.1.5 installed from OpenBSD ports. It
turned out the actual problem was a permissions problem on
/var/spool/mailman/lists/[listname] (it was owned by root:_mailman
instead of _mailman:_mailman). Should I file a bug about this (that
the error isn't more specific)? It would be much more helpful if
this said "Cannot write to /var/spool/mailman/lists/nord-modular" or
something rather than "MemoryError".

[as user mailman, ./bin/arch [listname]]
[...]
Updating index files for archive [2002-November]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/mailman/bin/arch", line 187, in ?
    main()

[...]

  File "/usr/ports/mail/mailman/w-mailman-2.1.5-postfix/fake-sparc64-postfix/usr/local/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py", line 265, in __closeIndices
    index.close()
  File "/usr/ports/mail/mailman/w-mailman-2.1.5-postfix/fake-sparc64-postfix/usr/local/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperDatabase.py", line 187, in close
    fp.write(marshal.dumps(self.dict))
MemoryError

(side note - I don't know why it was referencing in /usr/ports in the
work directory for the port - this is Mailman installed from OpenBSD
ports; removing that whole directory in ports doesn't break anything. I
checked and I think the inode number was different for stuff in that
directory and the installed stuff in /usr/local/lib/mailman - so I don't
think it was a hard link).

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."