[Mailman-Users] Option to suppress senders' email addresses?

Douglas McCarroll douglas at brightworks.com
Sun Sep 26 15:59:30 CEST 2004

Brad and Mark,

Thanks for your responses!

Brad,

>     Display this where?

My goal is to hide the sender's email address, in all places, to prevent harvest
by spammers.

Mark,

> You can make your list anonymous (anonymous_list = Yes on the General
> Options page) which puts the list rather than the sender in From:,
> etc. headers. Then posters can sign their posts and provide as much or
> as little info as they want.

I like this option.

> However, if you're really concerned about hiding e-mail addresses in
> any of these cases, you'd also have to do something about Received:
> headers in incoming posts as they can reveal things like the IP
> address, domain and in some cases even the address of the sender.

Even with the anonymous function? You may not be the right person to address
this question to, but I can't help but wonder why a program like MailMan
couldn't simply create a new email and copy only subject and body. The email
would be from the MailMan program and only have Received headers created in its
transit from the MailMan server to list recipients....

Douglas