[Mailman-Users] Option to suppress senders' email addresses?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 25 17:52:02 CEST 2004

Douglas McCarroll wrote:

>Is there any way to tell MailMan to display only the sender's name, rather than
>name and email address?
>
>E.g. "Douglas McCarroll" rather than "Douglas McCarroll <douglas at brightworks.com>".

I am guessing you mean in the From: header of outgoing posts. Aside
from the fact that this would violate the standard for mail messages
(RFC 2822), there's no way to do this in Mailman short of hacking the
Python code. And, what do you do about a message whose From: header
contains only an e-mail address?

Another option if your Mailman is set to validate list membership based
on envelope from rather than From: (USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = Yes in
mm_cfg.py) is the users, depending on their MUA, may be able to set
their own From: for posting to the list to something like "Douglas
McCarroll <>".

You can make your list anonymous (anonymous_list = Yes on the General
Options page) which puts the list rather than the sender in From:,
etc. headers. Then posters can sign their posts and provide as much or
as little info as they want.

However, if you're really concerned about hiding e-mail addresses in
any of these cases, you'd also have to do something about Received:
headers in incoming posts as they can reveal things like the IP
address, domain and in some cases even the address of the sender.