[Mailman-Users] Umbella lists

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 24 17:08:08 CEST 2004

I have a question about umbrella lists.

I understand the concept (and use them on my Lsoft Listserv lists).  But
what I am unsure about is how they are implemented in MM.

Please correct my thinking here.
If you have an umbrella list, it has a group of sublists to which it
will re-distribute its messages, right?  Then it should do these 2
things:

a) make sure that a person that is subscribed to multiple sublists only
gets 1 copy of the message

b) use it's own Subjectprefix (pre-empting the subject prefix of the
sublists)

The problem I have is that this is not what is happening.  Our umbrella
list is basically acting like the sublists are simple subscribers -
meaning neither (a) nor (b) above is occurring.

--

Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes