[Mailman-Users] Domain in the To: header

Jolin M Warren JolinWarren at OakandApple.org
Fri Sep 24 14:58:25 CEST 2004

I am having a problem getting Mailman to use the correct domain in
the list address for my lists. Here's the situation:

  -The domain for my lists is <lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk>

  -The DNS entry for this domain maps it to
<foe-edinburgh.dnsalias.net>, which resolves to the actual IP address:
   lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk. 300 IN      CNAME   foe-edinburgh.dnsalias.net

  -the 'host_name' setting for this list is set to "lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk"

Here's my problem: when someone posts to the list 'example', they use
the address:

example at lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk

In every case I have checked, this is the address that is being
entered into the 'To:' field of the sender's mailer. However, some
MTAs seem to be automatically substituting the CNAME for the domain
in the To: address, so the email that arrives at my server has the
To: address of:

example at foe-edinburgh.dnsalias.net

I have checked all of the headers of these emails, and the received
headers are as follows:

	id xxxxxxxxxxx for example at lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk

In fact, all of the headers in the message use the
<lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk> domain (because the server considers
this its hostname). The ONLY place that <foe-edinburgh.dnsalias.net>
appears is in the To: header. Yet when I have the sender forward me
the original email they posted, the To: header is in fact set to
<example at lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk>.

Now, here's my question: Is there any way to get Mailman to recognise
that the message was addressed to
<example at lists.foe-edinburgh.org.uk> (as the Received: headers can
see) and post the message with a To: header using that address? I
would really prefer that list members never see anything with the
<foe-edinburgh.dnsalias.net> domain.

Thanks for any help with this.

Cheers,
Jolin