[Mailman-Users] A non-text attachment was scrubbed...

Chris Boulter chris at jellybaby.net
Fri Sep 24 14:27:50 CEST 2004

I've sometimes seen the text
        A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
in our digests and archives, along with a hyperlink to a file. This seems
to be inserted by Mailman when it strips a binary attachment.

This text was scaring our users, since the use of the word 'scrubbed'
sounds like some malicious content was identified. I've changed it in our
installation to just say
        A non-text attachment...

Any problems with this? Is my understanding correct of when we would
expect to see the text?

Oddly, when there is a text body as well as binary attachments, the
attachments seem to be silently dropped without mention, and there is no
hyperlink to retrieve them. Is there any reason why this might happen?
(I've hacked with HyperArch.py and Scrubber.py in other ways, so it may be
a bug I've introduced.)

Many thanks,
Chris

--