[Mailman-Users] Re: Newbie requesting basic how-to

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 24 03:24:15 CEST 2004

At 10:39 AM -0500 2004-09-23, Jon Roland wrote:

>  In production mode, where the machine is serving visitors from the
>  Internet, no, but for development and learning how to set one up, a
>  lot of people have to make use of more limited hardware. Not all of
>  us have the luxury of being able to develop on, or learn on,
>  production machines.

	Which is fine.  But don't expect to run a GUI on such an ancient
machine.  Use them in text mode only, and you're fine.  But a GUI
would kill them faster than anything else you could possibly do.

	And don't expect us to create a nice little GUI for you, which we
would then have to port to all the various platforms we support.

	We leave the GUI stuff to the people who develop the package
versions of programs like Mailman, because at least they've got a
single stable target platform, and they've got the best chance of
being able to make something like that work in a way that will be
consistent across applications for their userbase.

	Anybody who needs that much hand-holding would be very poorly
served by trying to use a GUI that was created by anyone else.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755