[Mailman-Users] Newbie requesting basic how-to

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 22 09:34:31 CEST 2004

At 1:09 AM -0500 2004-09-22, Jon Roland wrote:

>  I've figured that out, and I can certainly see why it makes sense when
>  the list administrator is not directly on the machine that hosts mailman,
>  but it seems like it would be useful to have an alternative of running a
>  python GUI that does the same thing without having to run the web server
>  when the use for it is so limited. Just a suggested item for the to-do list.

	I don't understand how you could possibly accomplish this.  Are
you proposing that the Python developers create an entire new
Graphical User Interface, to compete with X11R6/Gnome/KDE and the
like, and then somehow serve this remotely via the Internet?!?

	There's a reason why standard tools like webservers are used for
these kinds of things -- it's not excessively hard to implement a web
interface component, you avoid re-inventing that wheel, and you avoid
bloating your project by 100000000% as a result of incorporating all
that duplicative code.

	Graphical user environments like X11 are some of the biggest
projects (in terms of millions of lines of code) of any type of
system on the Internet.  Somewhat smaller are major daemons to
implement complex communications protocols with lots of plug-ins,
sub-options, cryptographic security subsystems, and varieties of ways
to configure them (such as apache).

	Many, many orders of magnitude smaller are things like Python and
Mailman.  Heck, you could probably fit all of Python (including
Mailman) into the space of a single plug-in for Apache.

	Does the flea try to re-invent the elephant, so that it will have
a place to live?  Does the flea then try to incorporate the elephant
into itself, so that it will always have a place to live?

	I think this concept has to qualify as one of the most
unrealistic and implausible suggestions that I have heard in ... many
years.  The mind boggles.

	I have never threatened to give a Douglas N. Adams "Infinite
Improbability Award" to anyone, but I think if I did, you'd have to
be top of that list.

	Well, at least within the field of Internet Technology -- I think
it would be hard to beat some of the unbelievable things that some
politicians have suggested, like trying to tie 9/11 to Saddam Hussein
and using that lie as a pretext to war.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755