[Mailman-Users] Sign-up User problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 14 10:30:31 CEST 2004

At 12:41 PM -0400 2004-09-10, Nancy Swizynski wrote:

>  Yesterday our main diocese site was down and someone from outside our
>  network was trying to sign up for my list-serv and was not able to.

	What reason did they give for making this claim?

>                                                                       My
>  question is if our main diocese website is down does that impact the ability
>  for new persons outside our network to sign up for the list-serv. If so or
>  not what can I do to solve this problem.

	A lot depends on your configuration.  If you route all incoming
and outgoing e-mail through them, then that will at least delay
subscriptions, if you are configured to require confirmation, etc....
If you run your Mailman web interface on one system and the mail
server side on another machine, that could cause similar problems (if
the web server side were to go down).

	Otherwise, the only problem that people are likely to have is
that they won't be able to click on a link from the main site to take
them to your site, where they could subscribe.  However, if they know
the URL, they should still be able to go to your server directly.

	I'm not sure that there's much more you can do to help people
find out what your URL is so that they can go to your site directly.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755