[Mailman-Users] sendmail bounces

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 8 18:21:31 CEST 2004

At 11:53 PM +0800 2004-09-08, David Cake wrote:

>  	The only error I seem to be getting is
>  dangerous permissions=42755 on queue directory /var/spool/mqueue-client/
>  	which I can't seem how to turn off - I'm not even sure why its there
>  are all, given that dir is not group or world writable - or how to turn
>  off this warning with DontBlameSendmail

	The problem could be with a parent directory above this one.  Or,
it could be with a parent directory of a symbolic link pointing to
something in this path.  This can be a difficult one to debug.

>  (DontBlameSendmail? I want to go round to Eric Allmans house and slap him)

	Everyone was riding Eric's case because there were so many ways
that people were finding to break into systems via weaknesses that
were not directly the fault of sendmail, but through which sendmail
gave them an attack vector.  He nearly killed himself tightening down
the security for version 8 sendmail so that this sort of thing was no
longer possible.

	Unfortunately, there are an infinite number of vendors who ship
an infinite number of systems that are themselves broken in one way
or another, and where the extremely strict security model insisted
upon by sendmail will cause other things to break.

	That's why Eric came up with this option, so as to allow you to
shoot yourself in the foot (or blow it off with thermonuclear
weapons), if you so chose -- but he made sure that you would have to
explicitly configure sendmail to do that, and he made sure that when
the worst did happen as a result, you couldn't blame sendmail for
your security breach.

	You do *NOT* even *joke* about slapping Eric without going
through me first.

	If you want to tangle with me, I'll be glad to meet you in a dark
alley at an upcoming LISA or SANE conference.  Just let me know when
and where.

	But don't be too surprised if I bring along a few like-minded
friends who will be there to make sure that things stay on the
up-and-up.

	And if you don't like tangling with me, I can introduce you to a
few other friends of Eric -- in your case, most likely including K.
Robert Elz, a.k.a., "kre".

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755