[Mailman-Users] Unauthorized Access to APPL Mailing list

Nancy Kotz nkotz at appl.org
Fri Sep 3 21:53:01 CEST 2004

Hello -

APPL uses Jaguar PC as our web host and we have 2 mailing lists set up
through their service. We use 1 of those mailing list for our electronic
newsletter. When the newsletter went out today I received a call that when
it was forward to several other people by one of our subscribers those that
received the forward also received an unauthorized attachment that was
pornographic in nature.

Needless to say we are very upset by this incident. I did notice that on the
public html page when I chose to view the mailing lists for APPL.ORG, there
was an unauthorized list and none of our real lists were there. That
unauthorized list is
Immagina_percorsiumanisti.net. When I clicked on that list the public html
was all in Spanish. Fortunately, when I did the same thing from the password
protected administrative page, our real mailing lists were there.

Your immediate attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. Please do
not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or need additional
information.

Nancy C. Kotz
Member Services Coordinator
Association of Partners for Public Lands
Strengthening Public Land Partnerships
nkotz at appl.org or appl at appl.org
Phone: 301-946-9475, extension 24; FAX: 301-946-9478

See you in Portland, Oregon!
Portland Pathways 2005, March 6-10th
http://www.appl.org/conventions.html