[Mailman-Users] Mailman on OS X Server

demo macangels at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 3 00:43:14 CEST 2004

Hi

Just as an aside;

> It's hard to say.  Apple ships that as a closed black box, so
> virtually everything under the hood is hidden from view, even from
> those people who would otherwise know what they're doing.

Its a bitter truth but Apple's position is that " they don't support 'their'
Mailman ". Expect a lot more traffic from drowning MacHeads on this list, of
which I am one.

I find it kind of unethic given that OS X Server is *sold* on the basis that
it has all this cool Open Source software, but in my experience, when you
call up tech support they know nothing beyond pushing buttons. The Mailman
is not even included in free support days.

I had a really simple problem [ hostname incorrect due to setting up X
server prior to knowing domain name ]  and wasted a couple of hours over a
few days with countless techs ending in a semantic debate over what the
support contract included. [ They would not even show me what their
guidelines are ].

> With MacOS X Server, about the only thing we can recommend is
> that you contact Apple to find out how to fix what they've shipped.

There is nothing in the kbase or their inhouse knowledge base and the
frontline are told to merely sell you a paid consultation with professional
tech support services [ for which price you could have bought Communigate ].

No guaranties given your problem with be solved but credit card details
taken.

Beware!

MA

> I've recently gotten some more contacts inside Apple and I'm
> trying to get contacts with the team that is responsible for creating
> MacOS X Server.  So far, I'm not having any luck.

Good luck!