[Mailman-Users] mmsitepass broken in v 2.1.5?

hesco at greens.org hesco at greens.org
Thu Sep 2 12:51:24 CEST 2004

OK.  I see that.  Here's is what I got:
-rw-r-----  1 root  mailman  41 Aug 16 23:04 ../data/adm.pw

I'm a member of mailman, but am not root.
Do I break the installation by asking root
to reset these permissions with chmod g+w?

-- Hugh

Cc: mailman-users at python.org
From: Richard Barrett <r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mmsitepass broken in v 2.1.5?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:56:51 +0100
To: hesco at greens.org

On 2 Sep 2004, at 09:51, hesco at greens.org wrote:

> These are the errors I get.
> Any clues?
>
> bash-2.05$ ./mmsitepass
> New site password:
> Again to confirm password:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./mmsitepass", line 105, in ?
>     main()
>   File "./mmsitepass", line 96, in main
>     Utils.set_global_password(pw1, siteadmin)
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 328, in
> set_global_password
>     fp = open(filename, 'w')
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/mailman/data/adm.pw'
> bash-2.05$

The script is not broken but the permissions on the cited file do not
allow write for the userid/groupid you executed the script as. Check
the file's permissions and the userid you are running as.