[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 subject line problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Sep 1 17:17:49 CEST 2004

Rimgaudas Laucius wrote:

>i am sorry i was not very consistent describing problem because i was
>looking at the problem from the user point at first. That is why i said that
>mailman does not pass letters with national characters in subject line. I
>was not talking about encoded letter's source. After i investigeted sent
>letter's source i described problem differently: from system view point. I
>tried to switch on some encoding methods in my MUA and made hypothesis that
>problem is not related to encoding.
>But now i see that it is related only to windows encoding (with other
>encodings: ISO, UTF is all right) and i guess it is not python problem
>because i have installed 2.2.1 version.

The problem only occurs with windows-1257 encoding, not with other
encodings. Since windows-1257 is an accepted standard encoding, this
seems clearly to be a bug somewhere.

I would first examine the Mailman logs to see if I could confirm
anything from them. For example, if there is an entry in the "post"
log and not one in the "smtp" log for one of these posts, then it
would clearly be Mailman dropping the post. If there is an entry in
the "smtp" log, then maybe it is the outgoing MTA that drops the post.
Are there any entries in the "error" log? What about the MTA's logs?.

What about digests? Do you have any lists with digests? If so, do these
posts get into the digest?

Are there logs from the incoming MTA to show that Mailman even gets the
post?

If after considering all this, you feel it is a Mailman issue, then
document it as well as you can and report it at

Also see the possibly related report at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=965706&group_id=103&atid=100103 but note that this user has Python 2.1.3 which may be the problem in that case. Also note that this users messages were shunted. Does this happen in your case?