[Mailman-Users] Spoofed Addresses

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Oct 30 04:11:15 CEST 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:13:21 +0200
Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 8:24 PM -0400 2004-10-29, David Relson wrote:
>
> >  Part of asking the question was to learn whether mailman has any
> >  ability to verify addresses.  I wasn't aware of anything, which
> >  doesn't mean it can't be done.  Along a similar vein, I'm wondering
> >  if there are ways for postfix and procmail to validate addresses.
>
> 	How would it verify the address?  By the time that Mailman gets
> the message, it's already been accepted by your MTA.

Brad,

I'm well aware that mailman has features beyond what I need and use.  As
there was a chance it could do something magical for cases like this, I
thought I'd ask :-)

...[snip]...

> 	I guess you could set up forced moderation for all users, so
> 	that
> a human being has to take a manual action for each message in order
> to approve it.  That's not a very scalable solution, however.

As you say, not scalable :-(

My mail handling environment is composed of postfix, procmail,
bogofilter, and mailman.  All incoming messages are _supposed_ to be
processed by bogofilter, which adds a spam/ham tag to the message
header.  Messages to "mydomain.com" have the tags, but messages to
"mylists.org" do not (as confirmed by looking at *.pck in held-msgs).
Can you point me towards a FAQ, HOWTO, or other document which might
shed light on why this is so?

Thanks.

David