[Mailman-Users] Using one email address for posting and admin

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 30 03:45:32 CEST 2004

Fa Yoeu wrote:

>I want to use one email address for posting and administrative
>functions.  Is this possible with mailman?  Currently I have the
>following setup.
>
>1.  Mail is forwarded from list-*@domain to one list at ISP.
>2.  Mail from ISP is retrieved using fetchmail with one user account.
>
>All posting to the list is working correctly.  However ...
>
>1.  When mail is sent to list-request, it is caught and pending with
>reason administrative requests found.  Is there a way to force it to
>process these email.
>
>2.  When mail is sent to list-owner, it is caught and pending with
>reason, explicit destination.  Same question here, how to force it to
>recognize and process these.
>
>NOTE: that i have only one alias entry:
>## test1 mailing list
>family-list:             "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post family-list"
>
>Other than that, I am happy with mailman and have been using it for months now.

Mailman won't work if all mail to all listname-* is forwarded to a
single address. What you have above is all mail ending up piped to
"/var/mailman/mail/mailman post listname" which is why you are having
the problems you have. You need ultimately to pipe for example mail to
listname-request to "/var/mailman/mail/mailman request listname" and
similarly for all the other listname-* addresses.

I was going to suggest setting up a procmail following the fetchmail to
examine the envelope to and pipe the mail properly depending on
envelope to. I don't think this will work since envelope to has been
rewritten by the forwarding process. You could use ^TO_ but that's not
as reliable as envelope to.