[Mailman-Users] Odd smtp-error

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Oct 24 15:09:43 CEST 2004

At 12:41 AM -0400 2004-10-24, Rich West wrote:

>  So, I guess it is a toss up as to having VERP enabled with one SMTP
>  connection per transaction or disabling VERP and setting the SMTP max
>  sessions per connection to 0 (unlimited)...
>
>  Recommendations/suggestions? :)

	It's a classic performance versus ease-of-administration
trade-off.  VERP definitely makes it a lot easier to properly
administer mailing lists, and you can pretty much guarantee that no
matter what the user might do on their end, if you get a bounce back
to a given VERPed address, you can figure out what the original
recipient was and remove them from the list.

	But there is a performance cost to using VERP.  You need to
decide whether or not that is worthwhile in your case.  I think the
FAQ entries should be able to help you figure out what the cost might
be.

	Now, the truly weird thing is that you shouldn't have to limit
the number of sessions per connection with sendmail.  No version of
this program in recent history (like the last five ten years) should
have problems with the kind of thing you're trying to do.  Either
you've got a truly ancient version of sendmail, a version of sendmail
that is configured in an extremely strange way, or something else is
going on that you're not aware or or not telling us.

	Could there be a firewall between you and sendmail which might
impact what happens during the SMTP transactions?  I know that cisco
PIX firewalls are known to break SMTP in some strange ways, and I
wouldn't be surprised if there were other firewalls that did
something equally strange.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755